Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pre-Made Breakfasts

I'm trying something new this week...pre-made breakfasts. Breakfast and baking are my specialties and they often go hand in hand since so many baked goods are great at breakfast time; bread for toast or french toast, quick breads, coffee cake, granola; the list goes on. After getting used to a more leisurely summer pace, we are picking it up this week while the older boys attend a wake boarding camp. We'll have to be on the road daily by 7:45 and I know I won't be getting up early enough to prepare a healthy breakfast from scratch like I often do during school when I have other kids coming over as early as 6:00am They'll need the extra energy from a healthy breakfast to see them through the active days so I decided to spend a couple hours today preparing all of our breakfasts for the week. I had quite a few recipes that I've been wanting to try so most of these are new to me too. I'll edit at the end of the week to let you know how they all turned out. Scroll all the way down for both a shopping and pantry list of ingredients for all the recipes!

1. Refrigerator Oatmeal I did the blueberry maple.

Photo Credit
2. Blueberry Baked Oatmeal We went picking last week and have a lot of blueberries to use :)

Photo Credit

3. Blueberry Pancakes I added a teaspoon each of cinnamon and pure vanilla to my standard batter. I'm just keeping the batter in the fridge and will cook it on my big electric skillet one morning this week. It's just as quick that way as to reheat individual plates in the microwave. I'll add a couple handfuls of fresh or frozen blueberries right before cooking. If desired you can also simmer some berries with a little sweetener of your choice to make a compote to go on top.

Photo Credit

4. Chocolate Oatmeal Crunch

Photo Credit

5. Frozen Breakfast Burritos similar to these. I did mine a little simpler with cubed ham, hash browns, and cheese.

Photo Credit

While I was at it I also made Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Loaf and Pumpkin Snickerdoodles.

Photo Credit
Photo Credit

Shopping List:     
Blueberries (5c. +)
2-3 Ripe Bananas
Cubed Ham (Use leftovers if you've got 'em!)
Country Style Hash Browns
5-7 large lemons
Pantry List:   
Old Fashioned Oats
Chopped Walnuts (I subbed whole pecans that I chopped in the processor)
White Vinegar
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Cocoa
Nut or Seed Butter (Peanut Butter here)
Honey
Ground Cinnamon
Vanilla
Salt
White Flour
Sugar
Powdered Sugar
Eggs
Butter
Milk
Cheddar Cheese
Yogurt (Plain, Vanilla, and/or Greek)
Dry Chia Seeds
Milled Flax
Maple Syrup
Honey
Vegetable Oil (I subbed grape seed)
                                                      
Additional for the Snickerdoodles:
Nutmeg
Ginger
Light Brown Sugar
Pumpkin Puree


For more updates and other interesting tidbits be sure to like us on facebook!
Be sure the check out all the other great posts at:


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog to enter my giveaway :)

    I love your ideas here. I'm going to copy a few of the recipes to use for later this summer :)

    ReplyDelete